Coming Up With American Literature Research Paper Ideas
When you are trying to come up with a good topic for your research paper for your American literature class, it is a good idea to get a few ideas to help you get your creativity flowing. Having a good list of a few different sources is the best way to start. You can utilize these ideas for your paper or just use it to brainstorm some other ideas.
Research papers are one of the most involved papers that you will be asked to write in school. You will have to determine your topic, conduct research, develop your thesis, and then put your ideas into a lengthy paper. Here are some ideas that may work for you.
- William Byrd’s interesting stories of plantation life
- First document regarding self-government during colonial times by William Bradford
- Ideology of the American Revolution through Common Sense by Thomas Paine
- Sentiment towards Native Americans in The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
- The Pilot, a heroic tale by James Fenimore Cooper
- Man’s struggle against evil in Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- Frederick Douglass, leader of the abolitionist movement through his writings
- Exposure of slavery in Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Does Emily Dickinson’s poetry show an unstable mental status?
- Study the effects of fear in Stephen Crane’s Red Badge of Courage.
Once you have determined the topic that you want to write about, you should obtain a copy of the literature. You can learn so much be rereading the piece of literature. You may have read it through the first time around but you won’t be able to remember every detail. Read through it again so that you can get a better idea of what to write about.
You can also read through some resources that discuss the piece of literature to see how they analyzed different aspects of the literature. It is a good way to help you develop your thesis for your paper. Once you have read the literature again and developed your thesis, you can create an outline to organize your ideas.
Get started on your research paper early. You should read through the literature again and you will still have to find some other sources, so don’t wait until the last minute to get started. There are a lot of resources that you can find online to help you if you get stuck.